Press "Enter" to skip to content

Queen Mary Advice and Counselling Service, explained

The Queen Mary Advice and Counselling Service can be located in the Geography Building on the Mile End campus. They offer a range of specialist support for students across all years in one-to-one or group sessions. 

The welfare advice team provide one-to-one confidential advice, case working and advocacy services on welfare, financial and legal issues. These include but are not limited to:
government Student Finance; tuition fee status; tuition fee payment/enrolment problems; help applying for hardship funds and bursaries; support for care leavers and those who are not in contact with their family; planning a budget; dealing with debt; tier 4 immigration; international student issues; financial support for student parents; postgraduate funding; welfare benefits and tax credits; disability benefits; funding for retake periods of study; interrupting your studies; re-sitting, withdrawing or transferring university or subject; extenuating circumstances affecting academic performance; NHS funding; funding from trusts and charities; and council tax.

Students are welcome to an unlimited number of sessions according to their needs, and there is no waiting list. To arrange to see a Welfare Adviser, you can drop into the Advice and Counselling Service or contact by phone or email. To find out more or make contact, visit their website.

The counselling team offer confidential, professional support for emotional and psychological issues. Students can meet with a counsellor to discuss the issues they want help with and if appropriate, will be offered weekly or fortnightly sessions with a counsellor for individual counselling or cognitive behavioral informed therapies.

There are also therapy groups available, where students who would benefit from longer-term therapy within the QMUL setting can be offered support for up to a year at a time. Students that have long-standing issues or who need longer term therapies may be referred to QMUL’s Mental Health team, or they may be offered a consultation with a psychiatrist within the Advice and Counselling Service. Alternatively, counsellors may help students to access NHS therapy services or external counselling agencies which may offer longer term support.

The Advice and Counselling Service works from the starting point that every student is different and will cater for their individual needs accordingly with their range of services. To find out more about emotional and psychological support, you can visit the website

The Advice and Counselling Service also has a drug and alcohol clinic. To find out about this and the other therapies mentioned you can visit this website, or for immediate help in times of personal crisis you can visit this website.


CORRECTION: In the article titled “The SU is getting an extra £25,000 – How will they spend it?” in issue 19, it was stated that students are allowed up to four free sessions with a counsellor or advisor. This is not true. There is no limit to the number of one to one sessions that a student can have with a welfare adviser.


Image: Blanca González Alba

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.