Press "Enter" to skip to content

Rugby: QM storm to victory

QMRFC continue their winning streak with a convincing 33-20 win over Hertfordshire

Team Line-up: 1) Austin Rose 2) Ryan Mcleavy 3) Simon Craig 4) Joe Maton 5) James Davies 6) Tom Main 7) Dan Barter 8) Patrick Hatcher (C) 9) Alvaro Gomez  10) Charles Petiet  11)Axel Lange 12) George Talboys 13) Callum Breslin 14) Oye Odewunmi  15) Adam Parmenter  16) Billy Lyons 17) Fred Akinbobola 18) Olly Yip 19) Arkadij ‘Aj’ Pupkevich 20) Chris Hull

Queen Mary 2XV were hungry to return to their winning ways after their first loss of the season to London Met 1XV the previous game. Going into the game against Herts however saw more changes to the squad due to injuries and players being unavailable. Usual second row/back row players Breslin and Talboys moved to the centres, something which proved surprisingly effective at times during the game. The right honourable chairman Simon Craig returned to the 2XV for another week at prop alongside heavyweight Austin Rose, who came back after a number of weeks due to a shoulder injury.

Second year flanker Tom Main got things started by going off injured in the first two minutes, and got to enjoy a nice seventy eight minute rest. Winger Oye Odewunmi put Queen Mary on the board with a great try, shimmying through two strong challenges to score. Later in the first half the convert from American football scored again, in unstoppable fashion, with Charles getting both conversions.

Hertfordshire were not to be out done however, a well-placed kick and chase leading to their first try. Herts’ second try came just before the end of the first half. After a long period of sustained pressure near the QM try line, eventually they broke through a tired defence. Worse still, Captain Patrick was yellow carded for an infringement following a series of penalties committed by QM, and Herts went into half time leading 20-14.

Having suffered from inconsistent scrums in previous games, the return of Simon Craig helped stabilise QM’s scrums, in a display of the player that Simon is. Unfortunately, Simon went off not long into the second half, after suffering an ankle injury. Lineouts similarly were solid for both teams, with each managing to frequently win their own.

The first score of the second half was the same as the first, with Oye quickly taking a penalty to go over for his third and final try of the match. Callum Breslin scored a deserved try in the waning minutes of the second half, as the game started to open up for QM. With a slim lead, QM started to be more creative in attack, however ‘Football’ Dan Barter didn’t live up to his name and kicked a horrid ball straight to the Herts full back. Breslin went over for his second try not long before the final whistle, Charles Petiet slotting his fourth conversion of the game, rounding out a good kicking game for the French flyhalf.

Herts were denied any hopes of a comeback as clinical QM defence shut down all attacks, leaving the final score at 33-20 in favour of Queen Mary. After taking part in every QMRFC player’s most cherished activity, our team song, a well-earned round of pub golf and an evening out in Drapers was enjoyed by all.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.