Press "Enter" to skip to content

Football: QM scrapes through to the last 32 of the LUSL Cup on penalties

QMFC 0-0 Kings Medics (aet: QM win 4-3 on penalties)

As the 1’s game had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch the day before, and the 2’s suffering from a few injuries, some players from QM 1’s dropped down to join the 2’s for this game. In what was admittedly a poor game, it took a penalty shootout for matters to be settled.

With an injury preventing 2’s captain Jorge Alvarez from playing, he took on the mantle of managing from the sideline.

The opening 10 minutes was a fairly scrappy affair, with possession being lost on several occasions. However, the three centre backs of QM were coping very well with everything LSE threw at them.

As the game settled QM started to dominate; the centre of the midfield was very crowded but James Reeves and Jake Nash performed well, both dealing with LSE attacks and pushing forward themselves. Indeed, Reeves created the game’s first real chance 10 minutes in, when he set through Jorge Gadea on goal only to see the chance blocked. Not long after it was Reeves who was involved again, with a chance as he shot from a free kick to the left of the area, but it went just wide.

As the game continued, the amount of misplaced passes grew, possession was being lost a lot, and there was no real flow to the encounter. With 10 minutes remaining of the first half, QM had a goal disallowed as Adebayo Shokunbi was judged to have been offside. There was time left for one last chance as Reeves swung a free kick over from the left, and Stefan White managed to get his head on it but it went over.

The first notable moment in the second half came barely a minute in as QM won a free kick 25 yards out on the right side of the D. Jake Nash stepped up to take it and proceeded to smash it against the bar. QM was visibly the better side, but for all the possession and chances, they weren’t making it count.  Time wore on and the mist drew in as each side was searching for the winner, both teams trying their luck with long range shots but to no avail. With a few minutes to go, Matthew Collins had a chance at the back post but it wasn’t to be. QM dominated extra time and Kings defence were made to work hard to keep it goalless.  Extra time came and went and still, no goal. This game was going to be decided on penalties. Reeves and Khalid missed penalties but QM ‘keeper made two crucial saves. After Nash had scored his penalty and LSE’s number 7 had blasted over, it was all on Zubair Iqbal to seal it for QM, and seal it he did, with a penalty placed to the bottom right corner.

QMFC 1’s are through to the last 32 of the LUSL Cup!

Man of the Match: Karifa

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.